PO Box 28287
Telephone: 0131 662 6988
Fax:0131 667 8175

23 Cramond Glebe Rd
Cramond Village
Telephone: 0131 336 1619

Free EnquiryShould I Report Misconduct In The Workplace?

If you have been witness to misconduct in the workplace you may be wondering whether or not you should report it. Perhaps you are worried that you may lose your job? Perhaps you are worried about how your colleagues would react if they found out that you had disclosed information? Misconduct may include things such as health and safety failings, fraud or criminal activity. The misconduct may already be occurring or may be reasonably expected to happen in the future.

In fact, if you are covering up wrongdoing in the workplace you may be breaking the law. Therefore it is less a question of whether you should report misconduct in the workplace but a question of how you report misconduct in the proper way. As long as you have made a ‘qualifying’ disclosure, and you have reported the misconduct in the proper way, you should not be concerned about losing your job as the law protects you in these circumstances. If you are unsure about how to go about making a disclosure, or are unsure whether you are making a disclosure of the right type, you should seek legal advice

Reporting misconduct in the workplace is commonly termed ‘whistleblowing’ and in the eyes of the law is called making a disclosure in public interest. First, you should check what your company’s whistleblowing procedure is. If there is a procedure in place you should ensure that you follow it. Who you contact regarding the misconduct will depend up the issue itself. You may report the misconduct to your employer directly, or you may need to contact a specific person or regulatory body external to the company. Should you believe the company will try to cover up the misconduct, will not treat you fairly if you disclose the misconduct, or has already failed to rectify the situation, it is likely that you will need to contact an external body to deal with the problem.

Should you lose your job for whistleblowing you are likely to have been a victim of unfair dismissal. If you feel that you have been treated wrongly following a report of misconduct, you should contact a solicitor. If you are successful in an unfair dismissal claim you should not only get your job back, but you will be paid financial compensation. Not only this, but if your fellow colleagues engaged in bullying or harassment following the whistleblowing incident, this will also be able to be addressed at employment tribunal. Bullying and/or harassment in the workplace is not acceptable and you are protected by law.

Need An Expert Employment Law Solicitor in Scotland?

Please call us on 0131 662 6988 or 0131 336 1619 or complete our online enquiry form.



"Faced with a complex industrial dispute involving three parties, Callander Golf Club called on the expertise of The Work Ethic to help resolve the situation. Sound legal advice backed by high-level negotiating skills led to an out-of-court settlement to the satisfaction of the Firm's clients."

J Morrison, Callander Golf Club


"Hi Stan

I would like to thank you so much for everything you did for us. It was also my pleasure to know a gentleman like you.

Looking forward to seeing you in better occasions.

All very best,


Click to read more testimonials »

Call back?

Enter your details below and we’ll call you straight back.